PDA

View Full Version : Cane versus birch?

peter.jameson
11-10-2009, 05:16 PM
I am interested in those of you have had lots of experience of both the cane and the birch. Comparisons, what you prefer, interesting experiences, etc., I have been caned many times, but only birched once and it was a great disappointment. I have a suspicion it wasn't the real thing, but a poor substitute. Are my great expectations over optimistic?

smoothbum
14-10-2009, 01:11 PM
In my experience a proper spray birch is infinitely more painful because the twigs are very supple and lash round the buttocks on to the flanks. Some masters fail to achieve this effect because they use a 'birch' made from inflexible twigs, or use too many. I would be interested to discuss this further.

spankandy
14-10-2009, 03:11 PM
I have an aversion to the cane but find the thought of receiving the birch very appealing. I did start a thread 'Birch: erotic or just painful?' and got some interesting feedback that may interest you. Regards, Spankandy.

mkad12
14-10-2009, 04:52 PM
Being Birched appeals to me, I have thought a lot about it and wnder what it would be like for a older adult like me to be given it. I have had plenty of the Cane and Belt in my time .. I found that if the Cane is given properly it soon pulls one back into line....Mark

smoothbum
15-10-2009, 01:31 PM
To Mark and Spankandy,
It all depends what you want. For erotic effect, there is nothing like the sting of those twigs laid moderately hard across the anal cleft. If you want real punishment, as I do, the birch will make you squeal faster than anything else. But it is not for the faint-hearted. A proper birching leaves marks that can last for months. The 17th century antiquarian John Aubrey alleged that one of his associates carried seven stripes across his backside all through life, and I don't disbelieve Swinburne when he writes about schoolboys' bottoms being permanently red and ridged from the birch.

peter.jameson
15-10-2009, 05:52 PM
In my experience a proper spray birch is infinitely more painful because the twigs are very supple and lash round the buttocks on to the flanks. Some masters fail to achieve this effect because they use a 'birch' made from inflexible twigs, or use too many. I would be interested to discuss this further.

Yes, I like the idea of discussing it further. I prefer a mistress to a master, but I would like one that understood what a proper spray birch was - sounds like that is what I need!

smoothbum
19-10-2009, 12:47 PM
A spray birch is made from the twigs of betula betula (it bears catkins). Take 7 or 8 reasonably straight twigs about 3 feet long and tie or tape them together. The spray at the business end should be about 6-8 inches across. Some people use willow or apple twigs. In the fourteenth century Oxford inquisitions post mortem (i.e. coroner's reports) there is a delectable story about a schoolmaster who climbed a willow overhanging a river to cut twigs. His scholars came and shook the tree so that he fell in and drowned.

slipperboybare
20-10-2009, 11:34 AM
in my experince a good rattan punishment cane is far worse than a spray birch however the isle of man birch is hellish and not for the faint hearted

peter.jameson
20-10-2009, 05:55 PM
What is different about an Isle of Man birch then? Are they difficult to make?

Mr Cane
21-10-2009, 12:26 AM
A spray birch is made from the twigs of betula betula (it bears catkins).

Just a small correction, our commonest native is Betula pendula, the silver birch. "The silver birch is a dainty lady" wrote E Nesbitt, but I doubt the victims of a birching would have agreed. You need to go look at the twigs during winter to understanding its potential in stinging power and you will recognise a birch made from this species as equating to the traditional Eton birch. The branches divide many times into sprays of fine, leathery, subtle twigs all covered with the little hard, sharp-pointed buds which will form next year's leaves. Of course the branches of mature trees are going to very difficult to reach but the birch is an "invasive" species - it is one of the first species to colonise waste ground and you will often find birch scrub growing over disused sites where it will be easily accessible.

I never experienced such a spray birch but I did once suffer from the ministrations of a bundle of hazel rods. Hazel, in contrast to birch, produces long straight, undivided growth. A bundle of hazel rods will equate to the Isle of Man birch.

Of course with either species or for that matter any material taken from the wild it is a living plant and will only retain its power will it is green and living - which is why you see birches being kept soaking in buckets of water. Once they dry out and die they become very brittle and just fly into small pieces.

What? You want me to demonstrate! :eek:

smoothbum
21-10-2009, 03:06 PM
I would take some convincing, Mr. Cane, when 19th century school birches are visibly made from betula betula, not silver birch. But I would welcome a demonstration and comparison, if you are able to travel to Dorset, and I would like to experience the 'Isle of Man' type. Post a reply to my advert if you are interested.

jaybo
17-08-2016, 07:55 AM
I have seen medieval woodcuts portraying birthing schoolboys and I'm not sure how accurate the depictions are but they they look very dense like little bushes.
I have experienced a few canes but not birch twigs do they not cut the skin if covered in hard little buds.
Not adverse to trying them out though! I bet they sting.

Lister
25-10-2016, 07:50 PM
I have a fair bit of experience in delivering both, although more cane than birch. From my end of the stick(s), I much prefer to use a cane. I find that a birch tends to 'bounce' off the bottom with a cushioned feel, quite unsatisfying. The yelps and squeals emanating from the other end go some way towards providing some feedback, but it is a poor substitute for the satisfying thwack of cane across bum.

Where a cane stroke is instant, in your face, pain with every stroke, the birch is sneaky. The first few strokes barely register, but as they are repeated a prolonged burn begins to develop, until repeated strokes on an already tenderised bum become agony. I am not a switch but I have first-hand experience of being on the receiving end as I won't use anything until I properly understand its affects.

And then, there is the mess to clean up afterwards. Bits of bark and twig fly everywhere and recipient is left to pick bits out of moist crevices for hours afterwards. I don't mind birching for a change of scene, but not regularly. Just my 2 cents ;)

hj_252
20-04-2017, 10:30 PM
I've had limited experience with both, what I liked about the birch is how much it built up and stung; the mark left behind after were vivid and lovely, I found it less painful but harder to take (more noise and squirming)
Canes feel more like stricter dicipline, the formality is what is appealing and each stroke makes far more impact. It's difficult to pick between the two!

RichardA
27-04-2017, 06:32 PM
I was birched yesterday with a proper Isle of Man birch, it had been soaked in water the day before, I took 18 full on strokes and it hurt like hell I can tell you far worse than the cane.

jaybo
28-04-2017, 12:14 PM
Any piccies pending Richard?