PDA

View Full Version : Behaviour at Funerald

badgirl
15-04-2013, 12:23 PM
Surely there are fairly universally acceptable standards of behaviour at funerals, surely Margaret Thatcher should be laid to rest respectfuly, even though it seems that its us ordinary folk that are paying for her Top Brass send off. I'd like to have seen her go off on a rocket

I want to correct Funerald but cant

happygolucky
15-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Yes, and after all she was elected three times. I do remember that by 1979 we were in an absolute mess and were sinking fast. Whatever her methods, and they were brutally tough, it would be good to find a politician in today's parliament guided by principles rather than focus groups.

And surely a rocket would be much more expensive.

badgirl
15-04-2013, 01:56 PM
And surely a rocket would be much more expensive.

Spectacularly expensive and in very poor taste. I hope that the ceremony is in many ways good for the country and a lesson in politics.

Tutor
15-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Guided by principles perhaps, but her principles (greed is respectable, compassion is a dirty word) not mine

Barbedwire
16-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Everyone should get a decent send off no matter who they were !
I do not agree with the expenses of maggies funeral tho . There's no need for it ,especially with the state of the country .

If she had been a man making the decisions that she did and had to ,with her head in the firing line to take all the blame ,( don't forget all the so-called men in her cabinet , advisers and backstabbers),then it would not have caused as much of a stir or all the garbage that people blame her for .
The lady fought tooth and nail to get to where she did and was not all bad, and no ,I was never a fan of hers just incase you thought that !

Can I have the rocket please :D

Barbie x

Barbedwire
16-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Everyone should get a decent send off no matter who they were !
I do not agree with the expenses of maggies funeral tho . There's no need for it ,especially with the state of the country .

If she had been a man making the decisions that she did and had to ,with her head in the firing line to take all the blame ,( don't forget all the so-called men in her cabinet , advisers and backstabbers),then it would not have caused as much of a stir or all the garbage that people blame her for .
The lady fought tooth and nail to get to where she did and was not all bad, and no ,I was never a fan of hers just incase you thought that !

Can I have the rocket please :D

Barbie x

yummymeusli
16-04-2013, 12:46 PM
I think she did a lot of very good things and, inevitably got some things wrong. Certainly she left the country with a better future than when she found it so maybe the expense is less extravagant when one considers the state we'd be in had she not been the Iron Lady.

Tutor
16-04-2013, 04:54 PM
I can't think of 'a lot of very good things' Thatcher did, and I don't believe she left the country with a better future - indeed she sowed the seeds of our present troubles. She certainly left some people much better off, but the country wasn't any richer so what she did was to redistribute wealth. But then I'm biased as I and my wife were among those who paid for Thatcherism - and the loss isn't just historical, I get a reminder every month when my (contributory) pension is paid.

yummymeusli
17-04-2013, 04:43 PM
And my father was paying for what was happening before she came along - 97.5% tax rate! He was doing lots of work in the USA at the time and I remember the family discussion about moving there and how much better off we'd be.

Tutor
18-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Thanks yummymeusli. It's useful to be reminded that those who did best under Thatcherism were those who already had more than the rest of us :)

badgirl
19-04-2013, 06:37 AM
It's the low paid & benifit recipients that are paying now, as well as anyone who doesnt want to dodge taxes. If you recieve earnings, you should expect to be taxed on them. wherever they come from. Why dont rich people get lost on a nice big dessert island and leave the rest of us here, earning a real living and paying our dues

yummymeusli
19-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Thank you for your enlightened comments Tutor.
Considering my father arrived in this country with nothing in 1947, unable to speak a word of English and without a penny in his pocket, dug water trenches to earn enough to finish his engineering degree and pay for English lessons your comment sounds ill-informed at best, bloody rude at worst.http://spankingcontactsusa.com/ukforum/images/icons/icon13.png

My point is that by the time of his death in 1984 he'd won the Queen's award to industry twice and had fourteen successful patents to his name and, had that high rate of tax on investment income been maintained the jobs he created would, likely as not have been created elsewhere.

Best wishes
YM

Thanks yummymeusli. It's useful to be reminded that those who did best under Thatcherism were those who already had more than the rest of us :)

Tutor
19-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Thank you yummymeusli. It sounds as if your father did well and deserved his prosperity. However it is interesting that he did so well after completing his engineering degree when those of us in higher education who taught him had their conditions and prospects savaged by Maggie Thatcher (incidentally after she completed two degrees herself).

yummymeusli
19-04-2013, 02:16 PM
I do know that a lot of people suffered terribly under the changes that took place. I'm just not sure it was SHE that was to blame or whether it was necessary for the future of the country. As a somewhat sad aside the old fella had a bit of mean streak so left the lot to my mother who is still getting through it at a rate of knots on loose men and booze, taxis and party frocks but she is a game old bird but there won't be a single penny left by the time she pops her slogs as she's determined to get through every last penny. Can't say I blame her as I think, like yoou she doesn't believe in inherited wealth. Just my luck eh?http://spankingcontactsusa.com/ukforum/images/icons/icon8.png

Best wishes

YM