PDA

View Full Version : Should Adults Be Punished?

Bendoon
04-07-2017, 10:16 AM
A light hearted question asked with tongue in cheek and not specifically referring to cp as any required punishment:

If we, as adults, have our own minimum standards or expected goals for improvement of ourselves should we be punished if we do not live up to them especially if we feel we are likely to fail again?

I am not referring to laws or rules set by others including one's partner but our own standards. Is there an age when one ceases to be accountable for our own actions?

yummymeusli
04-07-2017, 04:21 PM
Fascinating question.

In cases of extreme old age, Alzheimer's disease or other dementia or mental incapacity then yes, people should remain unpunished.

A lot of elderly people become really very rude and I don't thank that should be tolerated - my mother-in-law for instance. Quite like her to find her mouth being washed out with soap every once in a while.A couple of years ago on Christmas eve we had a four day power cut so had no oven. She was coming to us for lunch the next day so, quite naturally I asked if I could pop over 1st thing and put the turkey in her oven. She said "NO". Six of the best, medium Rattan or Malacca - outstretched hand or backside - I don't mind which.

I often find myself building up a series of regrets that can actually only be purged by a beating. It's not guilt it's more a feeling of letting myself down. That's when Hubby arranges for people to visit, or for me to visit them and get the feelings beaten out of me. There's a bit of naughty stuff as well but that's another story - read my blog.

But surely it's an individual thing - each to their own. However there are one or two, in the public domain I'd like to suggest reading this thread and justifying anything less than a thorough scourging.

Just my ha'pennyworth
YM

Titanites
05-07-2017, 11:00 AM
There is of course the problem, especially with CP, that the desire to be punished might over-ride the desire to improve!

I have never seen failure to reach a goal that may anyway be unattainable as a wilful offence, but I do see a good spanking as relief from the stress; somewhat similarly to Yummymeusli describes.

No, there is no age of ceasing accountability, only medical reasons such as YMi suggests. ( I have a friend with Alzheimer's, and he's only in mid-60s, like me. A cruel disease. Knowing someone with it also tends to worry yourself every time you forget someone's name, where you put something down two minutes ago or the word that came into your head only seconds ago when pondering something.)

Bendoon
07-07-2017, 08:33 AM
Thanks for your thoughtful insight! I'm sure others must have some banter to throw in?? :)