Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cane versus birch?

I am interested in those of you have had lots of experience of both the cane and the birch. Comparisons, what you prefer, interesting experiences, etc., I have been caned many times, but only birched once and it was a great disappointment. I have a suspicion it wasn't the real thing, but a poor substitute. Are my great expectations over optimistic?

Default Re: Cane versus birch?

In my experience a proper spray birch is infinitely more painful because the twigs are very supple and lash round the buttocks on to the flanks. Some masters fail to achieve this effect because they use a 'birch' made from inflexible twigs, or use too many. I would be interested to discuss this further.

I have an aversion to the cane but find the thought of receiving the birch very appealing. I did start a thread 'Birch: erotic or just painful?' and got some interesting feedback that may interest you. Regards, Spankandy.

Wink Re: Cane versus birch?

Being Birched appeals to me, I have thought a lot about it and wnder what it would be like for a older adult like me to be given it. I have had plenty of the Cane and Belt in my time .. I found that if the Cane is given properly it soon pulls one back into line....Mark

To Mark and Spankandy,
    It all depends what you want. For erotic effect, there is nothing like the sting of those twigs laid moderately hard across the anal cleft. If you want real punishment, as I do, the birch will make you squeal faster than anything else. But it is not for the faint-hearted. A proper birching leaves marks that can last for months. The 17th century antiquarian John Aubrey alleged that one of his associates carried seven stripes across his backside all through life, and I don't disbelieve Swinburne when he writes about schoolboys' bottoms being permanently red and ridged from the birch.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothbum View Post
    In my experience a proper spray birch is infinitely more painful because the twigs are very supple and lash round the buttocks on to the flanks. Some masters fail to achieve this effect because they use a 'birch' made from inflexible twigs, or use too many. I would be interested to discuss this further.
    Yes, I like the idea of discussing it further. I prefer a mistress to a master, but I would like one that understood what a proper spray birch was - sounds like that is what I need!

A spray birch is made from the twigs of betula betula (it bears catkins). Take 7 or 8 reasonably straight twigs about 3 feet long and tie or tape them together. The spray at the business end should be about 6-8 inches across. Some people use willow or apple twigs. In the fourteenth century Oxford inquisitions post mortem (i.e. coroner's reports) there is a delectable story about a schoolmaster who climbed a willow overhanging a river to cut twigs. His scholars came and shook the tree so that he fell in and drowned.

in my experince a good rattan punishment cane is far worse than a spray birch however the isle of man birch is hellish and not for the faint hearted

What is different about an Isle of Man birch then? Are they difficult to make?

Quote Originally Posted by smoothbum View Post
    A spray birch is made from the twigs of betula betula (it bears catkins).
    Just a small correction, our commonest native is Betula pendula, the silver birch. "The silver birch is a dainty lady" wrote E Nesbitt, but I doubt the victims of a birching would have agreed. You need to go look at the twigs during winter to understanding its potential in stinging power and you will recognise a birch made from this species as equating to the traditional Eton birch. The branches divide many times into sprays of fine, leathery, subtle twigs all covered with the little hard, sharp-pointed buds which will form next year's leaves. Of course the branches of mature trees are going to very difficult to reach but the birch is an "invasive" species - it is one of the first species to colonise waste ground and you will often find birch scrub growing over disused sites where it will be easily accessible.

I never experienced such a spray birch but I did once suffer from the ministrations of a bundle of hazel rods. Hazel, in contrast to birch, produces long straight, undivided growth. A bundle of hazel rods will equate to the Isle of Man birch.

Of course with either species or for that matter any material taken from the wild it is a living plant and will only retain its power will it is green and living - which is why you see birches being kept soaking in buckets of water. Once they dry out and die they become very brittle and just fly into small pieces.

What? You want me to demonstrate!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast