Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Behaviour at Funerald

It's the low paid & benifit recipients that are paying now, as well as anyone who doesnt want to dodge taxes. If you recieve earnings, you should expect to be taxed on them. wherever they come from. Why dont rich people get lost on a nice big dessert island and leave the rest of us here, earning a real living and paying our dues

Thank you for your enlightened comments Tutor.
    Considering my father arrived in this country with nothing in 1947, unable to speak a word of English and without a penny in his pocket, dug water trenches to earn enough to finish his engineering degree and pay for English lessons your comment sounds ill-informed at best, bloody rude at worst.

My point is that by the time of his death in 1984 he'd won the Queen's award to industry twice and had fourteen successful patents to his name and, had that high rate of tax on investment income been maintained the jobs he created would, likely as not have been created elsewhere.

Best wishes
    YM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutor View Post
    Thanks yummymeusli. It's useful to be reminded that those who did best under Thatcherism were those who already had more than the rest of us

Thank you yummymeusli. It sounds as if your father did well and deserved his prosperity. However it is interesting that he did so well after completing his engineering degree when those of us in higher education who taught him had their conditions and prospects savaged by Maggie Thatcher (incidentally after she completed two degrees herself).

I do know that a lot of people suffered terribly under the changes that took place. I'm just not sure it was SHE that was to blame or whether it was necessary for the future of the country. As a somewhat sad aside the old fella had a bit of mean streak so left the lot to my mother who is still getting through it at a rate of knots on loose men and booze, taxis and party frocks but she is a game old bird but there won't be a single penny left by the time she pops her slogs as she's determined to get through every last penny. Can't say I blame her as I think, like yoou she doesn't believe in inherited wealth. Just my luck eh?

Best wishes

YM

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12